So here are the final examples of the cyanotypes I did on cotton. I never was able to determine why exactly they turned yellow, but I have ideas, and perhaps one day I’ll experiment more.
I tried washing the onesies beforehand, that didn’t work. I tried washing afterwards in cold water, but they started to fade. I tried prewashing cold without detergent for the last one, didn’t make a difference. The only thing I can think of right now, is that I was on well water at the time, whereas the cyanotype solution was mixed on campus with city water, but aside from that, I don’t know what I did wrong. Other people printed cyanotypes on cotton with no problem! For the record, they were a gorgeous deep blue until I took them home and put them through the washing machine.
I snapped this just to have a record of it before I sent these off to my friends (and their new baby) in Boulder.
The first part of this post is here.