Shot at ASA50, developed in Sprint at 70F for ~7min (M). I can’t even remember how far back I shot this roll, maybe late 2017? It sat in my freezer because I wanted to be able to give it a little more attention with hand-developing. I still have 2 rolls left over from the Ferrania alpha run a few years ago now (maybe I should have ordered more when they were available but I missed that window).
With more film I’d want to try some of the D-96 Monobath as I have a feeling the film wouldn’t be as contrasty. That said, there’s an incredible amount of detail there if the film is exposed properly. There are several images in here where I burned in the sky quite heavily to get more cloud definition: not that I’m a master at dodging/burning but I have to say that they look relatively believable.
I shot this roll with the Olympus Trip 35, with the incredibly sharp 40mm f/2.8 lens. Go ahead and find some grain in these shots. In fact this was the last roll I shot in the Trip 35, the shutter seems to have seized up and I’m bummed about that. The 1/40 second shutter speed caused some blurry shots on the ASA50 film, I suppose that was to be expected. So does the Pakon have problems focusing for this film? I think it does indeed have a thicker base and the grain is so small. But I calibrated my Pakon when I took it out of storage (as I write this I just put it back in storage while I move) and I think there’s decent sharpness there, my own focusing errors notwithstanding.
In fact for a film that dates back to the late ’50s I couldn’t believe how little grain there is! According to Ferrania they’re all caught up on repairs and making P30 again so I think I’ll buy another 5 rolls of this film when they start selling it. It certainly isn’t going to replace Tri-X in being my everyday use film, but at ASA80 I wasn’t expecting it to, especially with the feeling-out that has been going on with developing. Until then, I have 2 rolls left and I want to shoot those in the Spotmatic with the 50mm f/4 SMC Macro-Takumar. If I ever needed to blow up a 35mm image to 20×24 or larger that’s the combination I’d use.