An actual real cowboy, that is, part of a dying breed. I’m not a real cowboy, I just play one on TV.
He was patriarch of a family of horsewomen that run a stables up in the mountains; when we do horseback riding tours we take them up to his family’s stables. Sadly he died this Summer and I hardly knew him or got to speak with him.
This is the outtake, the horse was less cooperative than the human. The more I look at these the more I think that I should print them in a landscape orientation and cut off the top/bottom, they’ll be better framed that way. I would have done it in camera but I wanted to shoot fast and let the guy get on with his day.
These were from last year’s Christmas party held the end of November, this year at a large place on the North side of Colorado Springs, with bowling, but also laser tag, an arcade, etc. I told everyone to come dressed in their work outfits and I would take pics, but only a few did which made it into more of a prank than I intended, plus so many people refused to sit still long enough.
Ilford HP5+ pushed to 1600. The lighting wasn’t terrific and even with the extra 2 stops my shutter speeds were very low.
A guy I had a hand in training. Actually as I’ve been driving tours for 5 seasons I’ve had a hand in training a majority of the drivers now!
This was toward the beginning of my developing sheet film and is still very splotchy; the other shots that were in the tank at the same time came out better but I think the lighting was a bit more even there. I only bought one 10-sheet box of Kodak film (T-max 400), I wanted to support the cause but Kodak has given up even trying to compete price-wise in their large format film.
Marmot with the GOG Trolley. I think I was getting a bit of flare here. There was some very expired Ilford paper lying around the darkroom and I printed using that to see if I could get it to resemble a very old photograph.
I can’t remember which of these I printed so here are both, I always try to bracket.
Denim and Tumbleweed. These were the first pictures I developed that didn’t look like they were on the verge of self-destructing. I think that shooting a film I knew pretty well helped out a bit there, plus using the Fink-Roselieve tank turned out to be much less accident-prone.
Less, though there are still some irregularities but all in all much better than the first batch. I’m quite fond of these.
…using the Epson Expression 10000XL in the Visual Resource Center at UCCS. The Epson software took a few minutes to set up but I suppose that it’s nice that once everything is calibrated I just hit the scan button and go off to do something else for about 20-30 minutes. Or once a few images are done I’ve started working on those in Photoshop and backing everything up while I wait. Also I’m writing this post (though as you read it it’s months later).
What do I think of the Epson Expression? It’s as big a piece of crap as the V600 but at least it does 4×5 film. It’s the only scanner on campus that can do large format. Thanks to this site I found out that I could only do 2400dpi scans, but considering how long it takes to do those I don’t think I’d have the patience to let it do longer. One thing I noticed, is that you must keep track of this: (7 min. my ass…)
If the scanner isn’t making noise for a while, click that to get the damn thing working again; it’s like the scanner went out for a smoke break and needs to be kicked back into the building to do some work.
I’ve been printing some of these in the darkroom as well, but now that I have digital access to all my negatives I can see things I would have earlier, like where the dust has been caked in, just how bad my developing technique was starting out, how many times I missed focus (I think I should be using a loupe), things like that. And the successes are quite successful, here’s an example:
Cowboy weaponry at the ready. Kodak T-Max 400 pulled 1 stop.